Thursday, December 15, 2016

It is that time of the year already!  Well, I may be a few weeks early, but I like to be prepared.  It is New Year's Resolution time.  Last year, my New Year's Resolution (we'll call it my NYR for short) was to have a dance party in my car every day on the way home from work.  Every day I would plug in my music and jam in my car while sitting in traffic.  And you know what?  BEST RESOLUTION EVER.  Truly made the afternoon ride home so much more enjoyable.  I genuinely look forward to traffic now.  So with my great success, I felt obligated to have a wonderful plan for my NYR this year!  What could possibly live up to having a dance party in your car every day?  Naturally... reading and writing book reports every month.  I know, I know, you all are seeing how exciting my life is, right?  For those of you who don't know me, I'm going to let you in on a secret... I'm an eighty three year old lady trapped in a twenty year old's body.  I'll give you a little back story on my love of reading.

I was home-schooled by my mom for kindergarten and first grade.  My mom received degrees in teaching, worked as a teacher, and thought it was only natural to teach me as well.  It was a small rotating class with two other girls my age.  My mom was in charge of math and English.  As most little girls do, we were reading the American Girl book series in my mom's class.  I was a stubborn learner with my mom.  I would know the answer, but I would pretend to not know the answer just to be difficult.  At one point, I refused to read any more.  It was to the point where my mom thought I may have had a learning disability.  Fast forward.  My mom was reading the Addy book out loud to our class.  She started crying when Addy is reunited with her brother Sam.  She was hysterical and couldn't even weep through the words on the page.  I ripped the book out of her hand, opened it up, and started reading the book out loud perfectly.  At that point my mom starts crying even harder because she realized I could actually read.  Needless to say, my mom enrolled me in public school the following year, but I have loved reading ever since.

My favorite genre is probably dystopian, magical realism, or sci-fi.  I also like a good self-help book every now and then.  Some of my favorite authors include J.K. Rowling (who doesn't love her), Oscar Wilde, Brene Brown, Dan Brown, and C.S. Lewis.  The hardest books for me to read are the classic, older lady, romance novels.  They are just too unrealistic for me.  I also like books about mythology, health and wellness, and anything that is supposed to be made into a movie later in the year.  I will always try to read the book before watching the movie.  One of the few exceptions is the series I'm currently reading.  It is impossible to speed read the Game of Thrones books while binge watching the tv shows.  I tried!

I want to have a pretty honest and broad review of a variety of books on this blog.  I plan on rotating back and forth between non-fiction and fiction.  I am just now starting to work on my list of books for the first few months.  Please comment if you have any suggestions or want to offer your feedback.  I would love to have the open discussion.  I want to have a minimum of one review a month, but I'm open to the idea of posting more than one if I am able!  We will see how the first few months go first.

Here's to 2017!  The year of book reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment